Friday, April 18, 2014

Kids, get up! The NBA Playoffs are here! (My 1st Round NBA Playoff Predictions)

This is easily my favorite time of year as a sports fan.  The NBA and NHL playoffs are going on concurrently, golf is getting revved up again, and baseball hasn't quite gotten boring yet.  It certainly doesn't hurt that it's absolutely beautiful out, and despite an snowstorm in April, it look like the thing finally broke.

It's snowing outside?  You serious?  

Its been busy over at ESPN, my place of employment.  People are running around and yelling and its great.  I've worked on NBA Tonight the last few days, and I've learned a lot while talking to analysts and former coaches and people who watch and know more about basketball than I do (believe me, if you're watching TV and you think a dude doesn't know what he's talking about, he totally does.  Every one of our analysts wants to say about a million things to every question they're asked.  They usually don't get more than 30 seconds.  TV is hard).  I think I've learned a lot, to the point where predicting the play offs shouldn't actually be too hard.  But I guess that's easier said than done.

So here they are, my first round predictions:

DA EAST
(1) Pacers OVER (8) Hawks in 4
The Pacers have been real bad lately.  But the Hawks have possibly been even worse, and almost allowed the Knickerbockers to sneak into the playoffs.  The Hawks don't benefit from having a guy that can randomly steal a game either.

(2) Heat OVER (7) Bobcats in 5
The Heat generally struggle against physical bigs, and Big Al Jefferson, phD, is one of the best in the business and has generally been a joy to watch this year.  That being said, Dwyane Wade looks healthy, with Coach Spoelstra doing a sensational job of having him ready to go for the playoffs.  Bobcats steal one at home off a 30-20 performance from Big Al, but they can't possibly stop LBJ and Co.

(3) Raptors OVER (6) Nets in 7
Far and away the most intriguing matchup of the first round.   The savvy vets versus the young kids just happy to be there.  I've loved this Raptors team since they traded Rudy Gay.  They have a deep bench, an absolute cold blooded killer in Derozan, and the 2nd or 3rd best point guard in the East in Lowry. This ultimately comes down to the point guard match up.  It's pretty much a toss up, and I just think Lowry is better than DWill.  But I gues we'll see.  Tim Legler made the very good point to me that if Derozan just has an off night and gets nervous in his first go in the playoffs, that seriously hurts the Raptors, which is very true.  I believe in Lowry enough that I don't think this will be an issue.

(4) Bulls OVER (5) Wizards in 6
I've been a Bulls fan for a long time.  I didn't think last years Bulls team could be topped in terms of gritty, oh-my-god how are they doing this awesomeness.  But, well ... it has.  Joakim Noah ... dude, I just love you so much.

I love you too, Mahmoud!

There's no way the Bulls lose this series because the Bulls have the best player on the floor by a wide margin.  John Wall is good, but it still feels like he hasn't quite figured out the delicate balance between killing it and getting other people going.  Jimmy Butler will have Bradley Beal, the Wizards best offensive option, all tied up.  I think the Wizards steal a couple, if only because there's the very real possibility the Bulls offense sputters out for a game, and a transcendent Wall steals another one.  But yeah.  Joakim Noah!

DA WEST
(1) Spurs  OVER (8) Mavs in 6
Whenever I watch the Mavs and Spurs, two perennial old-guys-being-better-than-young-dudes team, I'm always thinking about Greg Jennings.  How is he doing this shit dtho?  Unfortunately, one of these amazing teams have to lose, and the Spurs just aren't losing unless they bump into, I dunno, lets say a hyper athletic team with like, two prolific ungodly scorers.  Good thing there isn't a team like that in the West!

(2) Thunder  OVER (7) Grizzlies in 5
I love angry Kevin Durant.  If you haven't been watching KD every night, shame on you.  He's giving me a very Jordan, f-u vibe, where he's scoring on you, not just to help his team win, but because he wants to embarrass you.  He wants to fuck with your head and make you question your self worth.  And he wants to do it so heartlessly and effortlessly that you're not left wondering if there was anything you could've done, because there totally wasn't.  No way the Thunder lose this one.  And yes, I am aware the Grizzlies beat the Thunder last year.

(3) Clippers  OVER (6) Warriors in 7
This going seven might just my wishful thinking, but in any case, it's close.   CP3 is one of the best in the business at turning over already turnover prone guards like Steph Curry, and he's going to be the best player on the floor throughout this series.  So why 7?  Cause Steph is gonna randomly drop 40 one game, then Klay Thompson is going to randomly hit 6 threes, then Harrison Barnes is going to have one of those inspirational games off the bench. And plus I just really really really want this to go to a game 7.

(5) Portland  OVER (6) Houston in 7
My God the West is gonna be awesome.  This is probably the least intriguing match up, and it's still insanely awesome.  LaMarcus Aldridge is going to destroy Dwight inside, and the baby faced assassin Damian Lillard has become of the best late game shooters in the league.  It doesn't hurt that Portland has the best home court advantage in the NBA (Sorry, OKC).  That being said, Houston will win two because of Harden, and one because Dwight decides that he wants to play.



Phew!  Well, there you have it.  This is going to be an awesome playoffs, so please enjoy every moment of it (preferably on the ABC family of networks).








No comments:

Post a Comment